Tuesday, March 4, 2014

A Ten Year Old's Trip of a Lifetime - Part IX - Postscript

     Back on Feb. 18, 2014, my blog post referenced a photo and story in the Columbus Evening Dispatch1.   I stated that I didn't have the entire article.  Thanks to Rick Platt (my first cousin once removed) I now have copies of both pages of the newspaper.  Rick has caught the genealogical bug and is doing some great research.  Thanks for going out of your way, Rick.
    The newspaper article confirms some of the events, fills in some details about other events and corrects my memory of other events.  I would not have known that we left midweek.  The article states that we arrived in Chicago at 12:30 pm which does not explain why I have memories of changing trains when it was dark.  
    On a side note, I didn't know my dad was a track star.  I vaguely remember some talk about track but no details. And it is too late to ask my dad.

Thanks again, Rick.  
     




1.   "Family from Coast Here for Fourth." Columbus Evening Dispatch, July 2, 1955. pages 1,2

No comments:

Post a Comment